Flexibility is developed when connective tissue and muscle are elongated through regular, proper stretching. In contrast, flexibility diminishes over time when these tissues are not stretched or exercised. Some of the many reasons why people, especially athletes, should want to improve their flexibility will be listed down below.
- Stretching can optimize an a person's learning, practice, and performance of many types of skilled movements.
- Stretching can increase a person's mental and physical relaxation.
- Stretching can reduce risk of joint sprain or muscle strain.
- Stretching can reduce muscle soreness.
- Stretching can reduce the severity of menstruation for female.
- Stretching can reduce muscle tension.
However, stretching is only beneficial when done properly. People need to make stretching a regular part of their workout programs and devote several minutes to stretching every day to see results. You should stretch gradually, slowly, and using the correct technique to avoid injuring yourself during stretching. Just as there is more than one way to achieve a goal, there is more than one stretch to enhance flexibility.