I get a lot questions about diets and which ones to do. There is always some new, innovative diet that is created every 6 months or so, and people who follow fitness run to them. I don’t blame these people creating the diets and marketing them. Apple and car companies has mastered this marketing ploy. Create something new and shiny every 6 months to a year and sell it to the masses. Fitness professionals have done the same. Everyone is looking for new exercises, new diets, and new ways to heal their bodies.
When it comes to diets, I ask the questions, “Can you sustain it long term?”. If you cannot then I would stay away from it. Most diets want you to significantly reduce the number of calories you’re intaking for a short period of time, which forces your body to use the stored fat as energy. What actually happens is when you lose weight quickly, your muscles burn less energy and your brain thinks that the body is starving. When your brain thinks that, now you’ll have the urge to binge eat and you’ll end up gaining all the weight back that you lost, plus interest. You are suppressing your metabolism when you drastically diet, and this is the opposite of what you want to happen. When you lose weight slowly, you brain has time to adjust and now sees the weight you are at, as normal. So now your brain isn’t thinking you are starving and your metabolism will not slow down. Ultimately, the key is nutrition. Nutrition is how to sustain and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Stop dieting and start learning about nutrition, eating the right foods, and you'll see that you are able to do so for the remainder of your life. This is the way to lose weight and live a healthy life. When you diet, you will lose weight but for how long? When you are eating correctly and following the right nutrition plan, you will lose weight and be able to keep the weight off.
Speed is defined as the ability to increase and decrease the rate of velocity at which a task is performed. But there is much more to it than that. I am going to go over what you need to know.
- Acceleration and deceleration: The ability to increase or decrease velocity produced by a muscle at any given time. This is what makes athletes special. The ability to start and stop on the drop of a dime.
How to improve acceleration:
Pushing sleds full speed
Quick, explosive lifts. Lifting quickly helps build fast twitch muscle fibers.
Drills to improve your knee drive
- Maximal speed: The maximal velocity reached at a given time. Usain Bolt became a legend because he had the greatest maximal speed in the history of mankind.
How to improve maximal speed:
Fly running training
In and outs
More sports related speed terms are:
- Anticipation speed: The ability to pre-calculate the speed needed at any given time. Most baseball player have extraordinary anticipation speed. Quarterbacks also need great anticipation speed to be able to hit receivers in stride.
- Recognition speed: The ability to recognize cues given by the movement an opponent or equipment. Corner backs need elite levels of recognition speed to cover wide receivers.
- Reaction speed: The ability to decrease the time between recognizing a cue and appropriately reacting to it. Corners backs need very high levels of this to be able to play a receiver. Outfielders in baseball need this when reacting to balls in the air. Batters also need this to hit pitches that are being thrown. Tennis players need this to react to the speed and direction of balls being hit.
Benefits Of Stretching
Flexibility is developed when connective tissue and muscle are elongated through regular, proper stretching. In contrast, flexibility diminishes over time when these tissues are not stretched or exercised. Some of the many reasons why people, especially athletes, should want to improve their flexibility will be listed down below.
- Stretching can optimize an a person's learning, practice, and performance of many types of skilled movements.
- Stretching can increase a person's mental and physical relaxation.
- Stretching can reduce risk of joint sprain or muscle strain.
- Stretching can reduce muscle soreness.
- Stretching can reduce the severity of menstruation for female.
- Stretching can reduce muscle tension.
However, stretching is only beneficial when done properly. People need to make stretching a regular part of their workout programs and devote several minutes to stretching every day to see results. You should stretch gradually, slowly, and using the correct technique to avoid injuring yourself during stretching. Just as there is more than one way to achieve a goal, there is more than one stretch to enhance flexibility.
Being overstressed may cause you to have physical symptoms and changes in your behavior.
Physical symptoms such as:
- More likely to catch a cold or the flu
- Mood Swings
Current research has linked stress to the development of disease and diabetes.
Ways to mange stress:
- Avoid self medication, such as alcohol, weed, yes weed, and other prescription drugs. Doing these things may form an unhealthy habit.
- Do relaxation exercises for 15 - 20 mins such as deep breathing and meditation.
- Find some hobbies such as, fishing, taking a walk, listening to music, take a bath, going for a drive.
- GET ENOUGH SLEEP! Lack of sleep may make you feel tired and irritable which increases your stress level.
- Organize your time. Learn to pace yourself.
- Talk about your concerns with someone. Do not be afraid or too prideful to talk to someone about what you are going through. You may find it helpful to talk about your worries.
- THINK POSITIVELY
- Take 30 mins a day for yourself.
Try some of these things to remain calm and stress free!